Human dreams have been the subject of research for ages. Famous psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud has devoted his life in analysing dreams of other people and has jotted down his research in the book “The Interpretation of Dreams which discusses his theory about unconscious mind with respect to dream interpretation. Every year various scientific group conduct studies, experiments and examine human dreams which is known as the study of Oneirology.
They have come to this conclusion that the images, thoughts and emotions that pass through our bodies during sleep can greatly influence our outlook on life. Here are some of the amazing facts about dreams and what exactly do they mean.
- Our brain is active while dreaming: Lots of studies and researches have provided the results that our brain shows tremendous variation of activity while sleeping.
- Animals dream too: REM or the Rapid Eye Movement is a kind of sleep that occurs at the intervals during the night and is characterized by more dreaming and bodily movement with faster pulse and breathing. Animals too enter into the state of REM sleep. Mammals and many different species of birds also show the signs of REM sleep except for the reptiles and other cold blooded animals. Dogs and cats are the most common animals that experience these stages of sleep.
- Sleep Paralysis: Sleep paralysis is a condition which affects many people in the world. It is related to the stages of REM sleep and dreaming. The particular person who experiences the sleep paralysis when they suddenly awake from the cycle of REM sleep but the paralysis state remains intact. In this state the person is fully conscious but is unable to move its body. The person experiencing the sleep paralysis is not fully conscious but is well aware of what is happening around him.
- Dreams about legends and epics: The epic dreams are usually the most vivid one and is somewhat life changing. Dreams about epics and legends give you a fresh perspective on any particular aspect of life and will make you experience amazing. The fun fact about these epic dreams is that the people who experience them often see the continuous storylines that constitutes an entirely different and on-going life.
- Dreams that help you learn: The state of REM sleep begins when the base of the brain called pons signals to the thalamus and direct them towards the cerebral cortex. As we all know, cerebral cortex is the area of the brain which is responsible for out learning and thinking activity. It also organises the information about various things. The REM sleep activates the area of the brain which we use for learning. It is also associated with the increasing protein in the brain. Many studies have been conducted to prove this theory. For example- if a different group of people are taught the same skills and a large percentage of individuals from the group fell into REM sleep during that particular night, then they would be able to recall the skills and the stuffs they learned clearly the next day. This theory is called the Ontogenetic Hypothesis of REM sleep.