Brain size is an important part of animal anatomy. You will be surprised to know that the biggest brain is possessed by a sea mammal. No, it’s not Blue Whale! Though Blue whale gets the certificate of being the largest mammal in the world, but the largest brain is gifted to none other than another sea mammal named “SPERM WHALE”.
The Sperm Whale, is the animal with the biggest brain. The sperm whales brain is about 9,000 cubic cms and weighs 7.8kgs. By comparison, the human brain is 1,300 gms and 1,300 cubic cms.
Largest living toothed animal
Not only biggest in its brain size, a mature male of such specie can grow to 20.5 meters (67ft) long which makes it the largest living toothed animal in the world. For large males, the head can represent up to 1/3rd of the animals length.
Deepest Diving Mammal
Sperm whales feed primarily on squid but to some extent on fish, diving as deep as 3 kilometres (9,800 ft), which also makes it the deepest diving mammal.
- The sperm whale can live for more than 70 years.
- Their diet includes giant squid and colossal squid.
- Females and young males live together in groups while mature males live solitary lives outside of the mating season.
- The name has been derived from the spermaceti oil. They were the prime target of the whaling industry for use in oil lamps, lubricants, and candles.
- A solid waxy waste product from its digestive system called Ambergris is still highly valued as a fixative in perfumes.
- Currently listed as vulnerable, Sperm Whale is now protected by a whaling moratorium.
Read more articles on amazing facts related to animals: